European River Cruises 2018 - 2019
Europe's major rivers include Eastern Europe's charming Danube, France's Seine and the Germanic river Rhine. So many choices!
Discover Europe at its best on board a luxurious European Rivers cruise. Sail down some of the world’s most picturesque waterways to unravel the continent’s timeless beauty, enigmatic history, charismatic cultures and stunning landscapes. A European Rivers cruise is the ideal way to experience Europe’s splendor and dynamic blend of old and new in the epitome of postcard-pretty elegance.
Discover the mystery behind the Iron Curtain on board a Danube river cruise to Budapest, indulge in your inner romantic with a Seine River cruise to Paris or experience the ultimate European festivity with a Rhine cruise to Germany at Christmas. Cruise European Rivers in luxury on board the Viking Jarl, Viking Tor and Viking Heimdal for your chance to explore Lyon, Bordeaux, Bucharest, Nuremberg and more.
Amsterdam, the capital city of the Netherlands, is one of the most famous cruise destinations in Europe. The quaint Dutch metropolis is best known for its charming UNESCO World Heritage Listed canal system and infamous red-light district, attracting more than 20 million visitors annually. However, with its charming cultural heritage, unique architecture and rich history, Amsterdam retains an intimate village-like feel, winning the hearts of tourists the world over.Highlights of Amsterdam
- Hire a bicycle and explore Amsterdam’s historic canals and floating markets by bike – like the locals do!
- Take a tour of the Heineken Museum and discover the history of one of the world’s most loved beers
- Visit the Anne Frank House and accompanying museum and learn about the tragedy of persecution in World War 2
Straddling the banks of the Danube lies Vienna, the picturesque capital city of Austria. Fortified by the Romans in 15BC, Vienna is renowned as the residence of art and literature greats such as Mozart, Beethoven, and Sigmund Freud. Vienna is distinguished for its elegance, stunning Imperial grandeur, masterpiece-filled museums and traditional Viennese coffee houses, which hold a place in UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage.Highlights of Vienna
- Discover the taste of Austria with a world-famous Wiener Schnitzel, a thin breaded veal cutlet traditionally served with lemon and potatoes
- Marvel at the spectacular, sprawling 1441-roomed Schönbrunn Palace, one of the most important cultural and architectural sites in Austria
- Indulge in a slice of Viennese elegance with Kaffee und Kuchen at Café Central, Vienna’s most famous coffee house
Budapest, a sprawling metropolis divided by the Danube River, is the capital city of Hungary. The cosmopolitan city is often referred to as ‘the Paris of the East’ due to its grandeur architecture and vivacious bohemian arts and culture scene. Visitors flock to Budapest to witness the magnificent neo-gothic Hungarian Parliament Building, soak in an abundance of hot springs and indulge in the city’s fantastic gastronomy scene.Highlights of Budapest
- Stroll across the romantic Szechenyi Chain Bridge, the city’s oldest bridge uniting the hills of Buda and the flats of the Pest
- Visit the startling House of Terror to learn about Hungary’s past fascist and Stalinist regimes
- Wander through Budapest’s old town and sample some traditional Hungarian cuisine, such as goulash, stuffed peppers and the deliciously cheesy Túrós Csusza
As the seat of the Council of Europe, the European Parliament and the European Court; Strasbourg is one of the most important centers of the European Unio. The French city is located near the border with Germany therefore much German influence can be seen throughout, particularly through the architecture of the city. Of particular interest is theOld Town, which is a World Heritage site and the Cathedral Square, one of Europe's most beautiful city squares. Due to the numerous channels that meander through the city and the picturesque half-timbered houses, the city offers a unique charm to visitors.Highlights of Strasbourg
- Why not explore the city from the water by taking a boat tour
- Marvel at the unique half-timbered buildings of Strasbourg
- Enjoy a tour from Strasbourg of the Alsace wine region
Cologne, situated in southwest Germany, is the country’s fourth largest city. Rich in history and culture, Cologne lures history buffs worldwide with an incredible variety of more than 40 museums and 110 art galleries. Dominating the skyline of the city is the magnificent gothic-style Cologne Cathedral, which has been protected by UNESCO since 1996.Highlights of Cologne
- Dress in your craziest costume and take part in Cologne’s iconic Carnival festival, held each year in February
- Explore the bohemian district of Agnesviertel, renowned for its boutiques, book stores, art galleries and a vibrant bar scene
- Challenge yourself to climb the 509 steps to reach the top of the Cologne Cathedral – the panoramic views are well worth it
Bordeaux is located in southwestern France and is known in particular for the wine produced in the region. The city has undergone rapid development in recent years. Bordeaux is characterized by palatial architecture and has a late-baroque arrangement of its squares and streets. Place De La Bourse square, has long been a symbol of the city and is a popular visitor spot. La Cité du Vin is a popular attraction for those looking to increase their knowldge of wine and its connections to french culture. Bordeaux also offers a wide range of public parks and gardens such as the beautiful Botanical Gardens.Highlights of Bordeaux
- Visit Musée d’Aquitaine, for an insight into French history
- Learn more about the significance of wine in French culture at La Cité du Vin
- Visit Saint Pierre, where modern day Bordeaux first began to grow
European River CruisesWhen it comes to European river cruising, the options are wide-ranging on Dreamlines. Our cruise ships primarily traverse parts of France, Germany, and the Netherlands, but you will also find itineraries in Russia and the Ukraine. No matter where you sail, you will always find traditional and diverse cultures along its river banks.
Which river will you cruise?Europe’s major rivers include the Germanic rivers Rhine, Main, and the Moselle. Eastern Europe’s charming Danube and France’s Seine and Rhone rivers also are popular for feeding your appreciative appetite for the wonders of ancient and modern Europe. So many choices!
Cruises on the DanubeCruising Southern Danube in summer allows you to enjoy the beauty of this historic region. The river cruise highlights the natural beauty of the fertile landscapes and the fascinating capital cities. Discover why it has long been the inspiration of music, novels, and poems. On a Danube river cruise, we offer you an unforgettable journey through time and culture. Admire the Wachau Valley, where the Danube makes its way towards Vienna. Sample the food and wine of this authentic, living cultural region. Learn the Viennese waltz and explore ancient ruins and castles in the beautiful Austrian capital. Do not forget to visit the famous baroque palace complex with museums and stroll along the famous pedestrian streets in the center. Vienna lies along this mighty river artery and a vast range of shore excursions will assure you truly get a sense of this artistic and musical place. The Danube passes through serene and beautiful Budapest, often cited as The Pearl of the Danube. Marvel at the genuine beauty and century-old grace of the capital city. Explore the Parliament Building and Crown Jewels, walk across Chain Bridge, or take some pictures of the Danube Promenade. You will see the classic sights at each stop, get familiar with lesser-known places that are often even more intriguing. Feel like you are on the greatest journey that connects different countries, cultures and inspiring natural beauties with engaging encounters at every bend. Experience it all – from the impressive landscapes to local flavors.
Book NowFor your ultimate river cruise contact our cruise experts today for more information. If you are after another destination, then we have a great range of options from last minute cruise deals to luxury cruises with flights. Call us at 1-888-665-8208 and book your next getaway.
- Very Poor